Avocado toast. A healthy spin on the buttered toast! Why not take it for a few more spins and turn that avocado into guacamole? Yess! Guacamole toast is very easy to make, and, although avocados have gotten a bad reputation for containing a lot of fat, it is mostly monounsaturated fats a.k.a. … the good guys!
Our entire body needs fat to function. It is the key component of a single cell, which makes up everything from our hormones to our organs. Fat also aids in the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins, vitamins A, D, E, and K; provides cushion for our organs; insulates our bodies; and is needed for optimal brain function. But, remember! Too much of anything can be harmful. So, make sure to consume an adequate amount of foods rich in unsaturated fats like walnuts, almonds, olive oil, salmon, kale, and spinach, and less of the foods high in saturated and trans fat, like certain meats and processed foods. This will help reduce bad cholesterol levels and lower risks of heart disease and stroke.
Let’s get some of those monounsaturated fats, shall we? Here is a quick and easy way to add some healthy fats into your diet!
- Slice of whole wheat bread
- 1 egg
- Half an avocado
- 1 tbsp. of chopped red onions
- 1/2 a tbsp. of fresh lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- Dash of pepper
- 2 slices of tomato
- Toast the bread.
- Heat a small nonstick skillet on medium heat. Spray with olive oil cooking spray, crack the egg onto the skillet, and cook for a few minutes, until the white of the egg is set and opaque.
- Spoon the avocado into a bowl.
- Add and mix the red onions, lime juice, salt and pepper in. Add more salt and pepper, if desired.
- Spread the guacamole onto the bread. Add the tomatoes, the egg, and the sprouts.
Easy, right?! At around 300 calories, guacamole toast makes a great breakfast with a small fruit (approximately another 100 calories, depending on the fruit) on the side.
Let me know, if you enjoy this, or, if you already do, what you like to put on your avocado toast!
People dread Mondays, but it can be as great as any other day! Let’s make it productive and set the tone for the rest of the week. Do some work, maybe try something new, and get a good workout in! 🙂
HAPPY MONDAY, guys!!!!